Gifts for the Green Mom
Organic gifts for mothers and Mother Nature
Is your mom as protective of the planet as she is of you? Green moms love Mother's Day gifts that are both gentle on the earth and socially responsible. Wrap your present in gift wrap made from recycled paper or put it in a reusable gift bag. Looking for a really meaningful gift? On Mother's Day, get involved in one of Mom's favorite causes - write a letter to your local government or plan a rally to bring environmental issues to your city's attention. Spending time with Mom and showing her that you care about the issues that are important to her will mean a lot.
Gifts up to $20
- Bamboo towels
- These towels, made from natural materials, are remarkably soft and exceptionally absorbent. Mom will love wrapping up in one of these. Look for brands that don't use harmful bleach or dyes to change the color of the towels, for a great organic gift.
- Charitable donations
- Many major charities offer gift donations that are perfect for Mom. Adopt a whale, save an acre of rainforest or send a care package to a child in a developing nation.
Gifts up to $50
- Solar patio lights
- Shed some light on Mom's garden or patio with solar-powered lights. The units charge up during the bright daylight hours, then emit a soft glow after the sun sets. These environmentally friendly lights don't require any electricity.
- Organic cotton sheets
- Give Mom cozy, earth-friendly sheets for Mother's Day. These silky sheets are usually sold by Fair Trade importers. Look for flannel sets that she can snuggle in through the cold winter months or cool cotton sheets for comfortable summer sleeping.
- Battery charger
- We've all got to use batteries at some time, but there are gentle ways of doing so. Battery chargers keep Mom from having to add dangerous chemicals to landfill while still giving her the convenience of portable power.
Gifts up to $100
- Eco-friendly sleepwear
- Soft robes and silky nightshirts in environmentally-friendly fabrics let Mom feel pampered without the guilt. Look for designs and colors that you know she'll love.
- Reel lawnmower
- These old-fashioned lawnmowers don't use gasoline or emit harmful exhaust, so they're perfect for your green-minded mom. They're also virtually silent, so they won't disturb your neighbors. Don't forget to mow her lawn the first time as part of your Mother's Day gift!
Gifts up to $200
- Mom can put her kitchen scraps to good use with a composter. As plant matter breaks down, it provides healthy nutrients that help her garden grow. In a few months, she'll have an eco-friendly fertilizer for her flowers and veggies. This Mother's Day gift will benefit her garden all year long.
- Gadget solar charger
- Now Mom can recharge her cell phone, PDA and mp3 player all without using electricity. The solar panels store energy that can then be used to recharge her small gadgets.
Be as good to the earth as you are to your mom on Mother's Day. Plant a tree, try to take public transit and follow the three R's - reduce, reuse and recycle. Your mom will appreciate the little gestures you make to benefit a cause that's important to her.